8 June 2005, Sozopol, Bulgaria
of the Regional IHY Planning Meeting for the Balkan and Black Sea Region
Regional IHY Planning Meeting for the Balkan and Black Sea Region (hereafter Meeting) was organized by the Solar Terrestrial Influences Laboratory at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (STIL-BAS) and was supported by the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences and European Office of Aerospace Research and Development (EOARD). Meeting was held from 6 to 8 June 2005 at Sozopol, Bulgaria.
Representatives of 11 countries (Bulgaria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Croatia, Georgia, Greece, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia and Montenegro, Ukraine) participated in the Meeting and scientists from Czech Republic, Slovakia and Turkey who were unable to attend the Meeting, expressed their wish to be included in the planned activities. There were reported about 50 papers: scientific papers, reviews, information about current researches in their countries.
The plans on the future activities and collaborations were discussed and relevant decisions were made on consensus basis which are summarized in the following as:
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
- Agreement on creation of the Black Sea and Caspian Sea Regional Network on Space Weather Studies (hereafter Regional Network) consisting of the following countries: Bulgaria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Croatia, Czech Republic, Georgia, Greece, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Turkey, Ukraine. The Regional Network is open to other countries willing to participate in its activities.
- The Regional Network will maintain a special web site.
- The Regional Network will publish an International referred Scientific Journal "SUN and GEOSPHERE" with international editorial board. Proceedings the Meeting will be published in the first issue of this Journal
- To coordinate the activities on popularization of knowledge on Solar Terrestrial Physics, particularly, the Space Weather, by means of scientific-popular articles written by the members of the Regional Network in English with further translation into different languages for publishing in the web site of the Regional Network and in domestic periodicals.
- To organize Annual Summer (or Winter) Schools on Solar Terrestrial Physics in different member countries. It is reasonable to use opportunities of the big scientific events to hold these Schools as satellite events.
- To provide possibility of training of young scientists from member countries in different participating institutions.
- To create alongside with a scientific database as well as a database on each member country activities and participants.
- To promote bilateral and multilateral joint projects and collaborations among member countries.
- Concrete actions covering the items 1-8 were identified during the Meeting. They are listed in the Appendix.
|Member country representatives: |
|Armenia, Ashot Chilingarian ||Azerbaijan, Elchin S. Babayev |
|Bulgaria, Katya Georgieva||Croatia, Dragan Rosa|
|Georgia, Marina Sh.Gigolashvili||Greece, Alexander Nindos|
|Poland, Zbigniew Kobylinski||Romania, Georgeta Maris|
|Russia, Yuri Yermolaev||Serbia and Montenegro, Istvan Vince|
|Ukraine, Oleg Lytvynenko|
Look at hardcopy