ISWI Newsletter - Vol.5 No.24
28 February 2013
Dear ISWI Participant:
There are two items today:
from: Sandro M. Radicella of ICTP of Italy.
Subject: Workshop on GNSS Data Application to Low Latitude Ionospheric Research
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:14:46 +0100
To: George Maeda
Please find attached the poster of the Workshop. We
already selected the participants to the Workshop (about
50 from Africa, Asia and South America from 200 applicants)
but we could still accept few people if they are cost free for us.
Thank you for your interest in our activities!
Deadline extended for those who can pay their own way.
Workshop web-site: here
More about International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) (see Newsletter Vol.5 No22
Attached is this presentation by the Russian Academy of Sciences
(Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics)
"Results of GEO and HEO monitoring by ISON network in 2012"
(during the 50th session of STSC COPUOS 11-22 Feb 2013 at Vienna).
Effectively, it means the astronomical telescope donation
programme (previously conducted by Japan) will be continued
by the Russian Federation, through the Russian Academy of Sciences.
The attached document, therefore, indicates a continuation of
basic space science of the UN BSSI, which has a history spanning
The attached document presents the following conclusions:
- Partnership is established between UN BSSI and ISON
- ISON network collects on a routine basis astrometric and
brightness measurements for more than 1800 objects in GEO
region and more than 1400 objects at HEO orbits
- Obtained measurement data are processing to improve orbits
and to find various events (appearance of a new object due to
launches, fragments separation etc., possible close encounter,
manoeuvres of different purpose)
- Accumulated information is using to support spaceflight safety
tasks, including those ones solving within the framework of
ASPOS OKP system by Roscosmos jointly with RAS
- ISON continues to develop an asteroid research program
- Development of ISON the first international network for
monitoring near-Earth space continues and all nations are
welcome to join us.
Legend: International Scientific Optical Network = ISON
Editor of ISWI Newsletter
(1) Poster Workshop on GNSS Data Application to Low Latitude Ionospheric Research 6 - 17 May 2013, Trieste, Italy 750 KB pdf, 1 page, (click )
(2) Presentation Results of GEO and HEO monitoring by ISON network in 2012 during the 50th session of STSC COPUOS 11-22 Feb 2013 at Vienna 2 636 KB pdf, 19 pages, (click )
If you want to read the original newsletter, click here.